TNG Community

Getting started with Spanish

Sarahlmc

Sarah,

I am not sure I completely understand your answers in regards the GEDCOM.  Will you be importing data into you TNG database 

If your TNG Admin > Setup > General Settings > Language charset is UTF-8 and your database is using utf8_danish_ci or utf8_swedish_ci then all the Admin > Languages  must all use UTF-8 (and the -UTF8 version of the language must be selected) and your custom created files should be encoded as UTF-8 (without the BOM) in Notepad++.

You should be able to enter the accented characters directly in the text from the US-International keyboard.  That is what I do with my French accents. 

What genealogy program was used to generate the GEDCOM?  Normally, it would generate ANSEL (not usable in TNG), ANSI, or UTF-8 type of encoding.  Has nothing to do with English or English and Hebrew

Now the Philosophy page looks ok in Spanish but the Dedication page doesn't.  I can see why we need consistency. 

Again without a URL to your page that is an issue, I can only guess at the answers.

11 minutes ago, Sarahlmc said:

Ken 

The way that the Spanish looked good was I had selected ASCII but it only worked on the Philosophy page and as soon as I set the character set to UTF 8, I was back to all accented characters looking bad.

I am going to try the encoding, much as I dislike it.

Sarah

I don't understand what you mean by encoding.  You should not have to use the html special characters.  You should be able to use the US-International keyboard to generate the accents correctly provided the file is using the correct encoding in Notepad++

Ken,  I patterned three pages after the shell page, acknowledgements, genlinks and dedication.  Two of them worked and I can't find my error on the shell page.  I even tried to get the original page working again (I know it did before I started on Spanish but it does not work in either language.) Because neither language works I am suspicious that the problem is in the shell page.    The smaller file is the shell page in the extrapgs folder and the larger file is the English coding in the English folder.  Nothing jumps out at me.  I know it worked before I started the Spanish and I also know that it was the trickiest of all the pages to get to work.

genlinks.php

genlinks.php

A URL to the page on your site would be a lot more helpful that attaching files and indicating they don't work.  What error messages are you getting?

I thought that what I was looking for was in the Wiki but I don't see it.

I am looking for how I modify the labels for the pages that show up in the top menu so that when I switch languages they would switch.  I tried editing the cust_text.php file in both the English folder as follows

$text[myphilosophy]="Philosophy";

$text[dedicate]="Dedication";

and in the Spanish folder as 

$text[myphilosophy]="Filosofía";

$text[dedicate]="Dedicación";

but the whole site bombed and I got the following message "test.smactuary.com" is not working.

So I put them back to the empty folders.  Do I need both definitions in both folders?  I just tried that and I still get the whole site isn't working message.

I was working on the drop down menu last night in genlib.php.   I got that to look ok but the I worked on another page and on the Spanish version of my Philosophy page just deleting a redundant line.   When I got both the icon and the language to show up in English in the drop down menu, my entire site stopped doing ANYTHING in Spanish.  I tried going to delete all the pages that I had just changed  to see if the rest of the site worked - and it only works in English.  I tried going back to the earlier version of genlib.php and it still does not let me change languages.  I even tried deleting Spanish and adding it back.    I feel like I had taken a step forward and then 20 steps backwards....  And I was only trying one thing at a time.  Is there some machine learning going on here?  I have had a similar situation where going back to the file that worked two /three days ago does not work anymore.

Sarah

Make sure you don't have any errors in the Spanish language files - eg a missing ; at the end of a line or blank lines after the closing ?> mark.

Roger

I will check them.  But these files are just the center of the php files and are straight html.  What I am finding is that none of them change - including ones that changed before everything broke and were not modified or changed in any way.  when I went to the accesslog there were some Spanish files listed, and when I tried clicking on them I got a 404 error page not found.  According to my ftp code all the files are in the Spanish UTF-8 directory.   I have tried deleting Spanish and adding it back as an Administrator.  So I am beginning to think that it has something to do with the directory or folder.  

Sarah

Thanks everyone for listening.  I had a senior moment and deleted the text.php file from the Spanish folder.  Once I realized that was a key TNG file.  I found it and put it back.  Everything works now.

Sarah

The next item is the message for the What's New page.  I added the message in English and then switched to Spanish and added the message in Spanish.  Whichever way was saved last is the language that shows up on the page when one goes to the public home and selects whats new..  Since this was done through the Administrator function there does not seem to be a place to have two languages,  Currently I am punting by having the message in English on top and immediately below in Spanish, so that one sees both languages regardless of which page is selected.  I did see a place in the whatsnew.php file where it says it is checking the whatsnew.text file - but that file is empty and I clearly do have a message.  I am not sure where i would place an include statement so that I could put the messages into my English and Spanish folders, because that would be another option.

Also if you want me to update the wiki, I would rather do it soon while I still remember everything.

Try my WhatsNew Language Texts mod. It requires an appropriate whatsnew.txt file in each of your language folders.

On my site, the English-UTF8 folder, for example, contains such a simple text file containing the following:

* If you have trouble finding the person you are looking for via the normal search function, 
try the REPORT for '<a href="http://www.katiandgraham.com/genealogy/showreport.php?reportID=31" target ="_blank">Alternative Names</a>'

Visit my site and view the What's New page where you will see that message displayed. Switch languages to Spanish to see that version of the message.

I am having the same problem with the most wanted page.  Is there a mod for it as well?  I had done it all in English and then put the Spanish in the Spanish page.  Now the English page is coming up in Spanish.

Sarah

I can't imagine how that could work. Each most wanted item is separate. On my site I have given each Elusive Person an English and a German text description.

Thanks Graham,

I did the English on top and Spanish below.  Did you enter each person twice or use two entries per person?   Originally (pre-TNG) I had a page whose title was Help Solve Mysteries - and not all of these are tied to a specific person.  I could do an English and Spanish version of that and put it my extrapgs folder and then link to that page from the Most Wanted, the way that I did for the photos.  Once at the page then the regular translation technique would work.  But I do agree that with the functionality in the MW page it would be very difficult to do the translation.  It would depend on the way that the text is integrated into the php commands, and I am very new to php.   If the page were just a table without the ability to drag the items around, it probably could be done.