Jump to content
TNG Community
Chris Lloyd

Track your site visitors

Recommended Posts

Chris Lloyd

This may be of interest to some of you - I am using the free version of Hotjar which gives you some very interesting insights on visitors to your site and shows you what they look  at in video format and tracks the way they look at the page(s) - you can find more info here: https://www.hotjar.com/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bobbyfamilytree

Will give it a go. Which file do we add the code to?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bobbyfamilytree

Ok no worries I have added it the footer. Cheers Chris.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bobbyfamilytree

I have put this in the template footer file and it worked,  but if i move templates then i'll need to move the code.

What file should i put this code into other than the template files?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DelG
2 hours ago, Chris Lloyd said:

This may be of interest to some of you - I am using the free version of Hotjar which gives you some very interesting insights on visitors to your site and shows you what they look  at in video format and tracks the way they look at the page(s) - you can find more info here: https://www.hotjar.com/

Hi Chris,

I just visited your site to see how you might have integrated hotjar. I had expected to see a visitor counter despite that most of its work in behind-the-scenes. I note that when I first landed on your home page a pop-up from hotjar asking 'if there is anyway to improve this page' - sort of a neat feature but after I navigated away from the home page I did not encounter the pop-up again. Is that a feature that you (as a user of hotjar) can enable and are there multiple setup choices regarding when and how many times it shows, etc? I assume that if a visitor did fill in the comments section that it would be submitted directly to you, as with use of the TNG 'Contact Us' form? In general, I think a similar pop-up (within TNG) would be a great way to invite general comments regarding suggestions for improvements to the visitor experience re: site design, easy of use, etc. and is perhaps a good candidate for a mod. Thanks for mentioning this product.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bobbyfamilytree

Yeh ditto, thanks Chris for mentioning hotjar.

As DelG talked about, I have also setup this popup. Mine is done so that it asks the viewer if they have any info about the person they are viewing. You can customize this to what you want and currently, I have it so that it displays on individual pages only, and everytime someone visits a new page, it will appear. This may annoy some but I gotta first give it a go. I will play around with it more in due time.

I've been wanting to engage, beg for (more) people to correspond with me, somehow, and popups have been on my mind for sometime so this is a great fit.

Most folks that visit my site are only interested in copying stuff and so i'll try anything once to encourage some sort of engagement. 

@DelG there is also a survey feature, I havent looked at closely yet but will see if this could somehow be implement into my site in due time.

 

So here is one page with the popup

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DelG

Last night I tried to create a basic hotjar account - the screen hung during the registration process. Thinking that the my new account may have been setup, I found that I am able to log-in but there is no functionality in the dashboard. So, I've sent a contact msg to hotjar. BTW - they should follow their own solutions and offered me a pop-up! (LOL)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Chris Lloyd

I have the popup only on the home page  but can't recall where the message feedback goes to - I think the HJ dashboard. HJ does track everything that is done by the visitor. May do what BobbyFT has done because I get a few visitors who don't leave any feedback.... :( I like the popup example he gave us.

There are a large number of features that you can set up and I need to explore this more :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Merv

I think it is a good idea but as mentioned earlier it may become a bit of a nuisance and also takes up a lot of real estate on mobile devices.

Is there a setting where it pops up for a few seconds and then minimizes?

 

cap.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bobbyfamilytree

See images for settings @Merv 

Screenshot 2016-08-24 at 8.45.00 AM.png

Screenshot 2016-08-24 at 8.45.47 AM.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DelG

After some inexplicable difficulties creating a new account, I'm finally setup. Currently, I have the pop-up only showing on my homepage after a 10second delay. To make the pop-up seem less intrusive and annoying this is the message I am using:

Quote

If any questions or comments, please use our "Contact Us" link or type your comments in the space below.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bobbyfamilytree
3 minutes ago, DelG said:

After some inexplicable difficulties creating a new account, I'm finally setup. Currently, I have the pop-up only showing on my homepage after a 10second delay. To make the pop-up seem less intrusive and annoying this is the message I am using:

 

Check your settings, I didnt get any popup..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DelG
56 minutes ago, bobbyfamilytree said:

Check your settings, I didnt get any popup..

It works for me - see attached screen shot. Remember I have mine set for a 10second delay. If you'll notice, the website text on the homepage is greater than 100% so installing the script has somehow altered the inherited text size (navigating away from the home page reveals no similar issue). I placed the hotjar script before the top <?php on my index page - should it be placed somewhere else i.e. after the <?php ??OFS - hotjar popup.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Chris Lloyd

Del

Just tried yours :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Chris Lloyd

@bobbyfamilytree  What URL setting did you use to only have the popup on individual pages?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bobbyfamilytree
8 hours ago, Chris Lloyd said:

@bobbyfamilytree  What URL setting did you use to only have the popup on individual pages?

https://www.bobbyfamilytree.com/genealogy/getperson.php?personID=

Also, I've had my first reply on the popup after 2 days of using it :-D  They gave their name, and have said they are the grandchild of so-and-so, and gave their email address. I'll continue to test and monitor the popup for sometime. 

Oh, I never got an email about the reply on the popup, I found it by just browsing random recordings, I saw someone leaving a message and they pressed the send button (you cant actually see what they write as it shows asterisks for letters) and from this I checked and saw a response had been left. Will have to check out whether or not emails can be sent when someone leaves a message.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bobbyfamilytree

@DelG Found the issue for now being able to see your popup, my adblocker was doing its job :)

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DelG
44 minutes ago, bobbyfamilytree said:

Oh, I never got an email about the reply on the popup, I found it by just browsing random recordings, I saw someone leaving a message and they pressed the send button (you cant actually see what they write as it shows asterisks for letters) and from this I checked and saw a response had been left. Will have to check out whether or not emails can be sent when someone leaves a message.

This morning I received an email notification from hotjar that I had received 2 responses [one was my own test post] with a link to "View Responses". However, when I logged in, the Polls screen was blank and in the upper right hand corner of the Dashboard, beneath the Help menu item, was "Checking" but it never went anywhere. So, I navigated away from the Poll page and then came back and then I could see the Polls. see images below:

hotjar - email notification of Poll responses.gif

hotjar - dashboard Checking for new responses.gif

hotjar - Poll responses.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bobbyfamilytree

@DelG Maybe you have the tracking code in the wrong area. Where it says checking (top right) on your second image... I dont think it should be doing that anymore. Mine seems to always say tracking active and I have had no issues looking at pages,  responses and whatnot.

FYI, my tracking code is at the very top of the footer file.

Screenshot 2016-08-24 at 10.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DelG
8 minutes ago, bobbyfamilytree said:

@DelG Maybe you have the tracking code in the wrong area. Where it says checking (top right) on your second image... I dont think it should be doing that anymore. Mine seems to always say tracking active and I have had no issues looking at pages,  responses and whatnot.

FYI, my tracking code is at the very top of the footer file.

Screenshot 2016-08-24 at 10.jpg

Perhaps? But I am getting tracking. This morning I thought of placing the script in the footer but that made me think the pop-up will show on every TNG page [which I do not want, at this point]? But also, if the code is in the footer will hotjar actually track the page to which it (the footer) is attached [ex. surnames.php, etc.] or will all tracking simply show 'footer' as being tracked?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bobbyfamilytree
8 minutes ago, DelG said:

Perhaps? But I am getting tracking. This morning I thought of placing the script in the footer but that made me think the pop-up will show on every TNG page [which I do not want, at this point]? But also, if the code is in the footer will hotjar actually track the page to which it (the footer) is attached [ex. surnames.php, etc.] or will all tracking simply show 'footer' as being tracked?

You can choose which pages you want the popup to function.

Landing and exit pages that is recorded are different (and you can see where everyone has been and is not footer),  So to answer you, no, the 'footer' isnt tracked.

 

Screenshot 2016-08-24 at 10.45.56 PM.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DelG

Right - I was about to clarify my statement but you were quicker. Yes, currently I have the pop-up only on the home page while I test out the functions; later, I may add to other pages. But am I correct that if you place the pop-up poll in the footer that it will show on every TNG page of your site? Also, I don't know where else to place the script but before the beginning of <?php on the index.php page - I tried putting it after but that produced an error.

Edited by DelG
script placement

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bobbyfamilytree
Just now, DelG said:

But am I correct that if you place the pop-up poll in the footer that it will show on every TNG page of your site?

Yes, that's correct. But you can specify which pages you want the tracking code to ... track, which is what i have done.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bobbyfamilytree

To which file have you guys added this script. (template file or in the main index area?) I cant seem to get it working again

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Chris Lloyd

Try clearing your cache - I had an issue for a while on not getting the script working after making changes.

I have found the recordings of a visitors actions on the site very interesting. The free account only allows 100 recordings at a time, but you can re-set to get another 100 and so on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×