TNG Community
tea2weeds

To-do/Research log development

tea2weeds

Would there be anyone interested in helping to develop a mod for a to-do list and research log?   Or at least help me learn enough about the mod system to get me started?    I have some ideas of what I would like to do, but my programming skills are a bit old school.   Any suggestions or help would be most appreciated.

jayat1familytree

Maybe if you outline your ideas here someone might have something already.

Until a better understanding of the overall size and scope in known, it would be hard to want to jump in and offer to help.

Chris Lloyd

as there are so many various genealogy to do and research logs already available is there any really good reason to add one as a mod?

tea2weeds

There are some research logs, etc.   However, I have always had  my to-do and research log generated within my genealogy program so everything is together.   I now use TNG, I do not like entering data with duplicate information in multiple programs....   I would like to see the research log and to-do list tied to my data.    I'm working on summarizing my ideas as the previous person suggested, and I'll update this post.

Chris Lloyd

I understand that but a mod to do something like what Gensmarts http://gensmarts.com/

does would be very complicated :)

tea2weeds

I've used GenSmarts a while back, and it is not the same as what I'm looking for, and I'm not a fan of double data-entry.  I like to keep everything together as much as possible.  I'm not looking for TNG to tell me what sources I need to go search for, I'm needing a place to record my research tasks, progress and findings.

My goal would be to add to and utilize the data going into TNG, adding the necessary tables to keep to-do and research notes, then a few reports that can be used to 1) make to-do lists before going to libraries, cemeteries etc.    2) summarize the research steps and resourses used on a project.   I'm not looking at building an A.I. type application to suggest sources to search.

What I would like to see:

1.   I'd like to be able to add a to-do list for the tasks/topics I need to look up for an individual - Birth, Death, Burial, Census, Deeds, etc.    These may have multiple repositories and sources I need to go search, so be able to attach possible sources/repositories from my source tables to each of these topics.

2.  Be able to pull up a list Sorted by Person, Topic or Source to use as a to-do list when going to one of the repositories (libraries, cemeteries, etc.). 

3.  I'd like to be able to click on these items and add notes/information as I research -   date/time I looked at the source, general notes about what I found (if I found anything), quality and evaluation of the source, time/resources spent on the source, and attach a citation that is similar or can be copied and used on the events and records gleaned from this source.   Once I start taking the information from this source and plugging it into TNG, I can use this for the citations on the events and such I'm adding to a person.  

4. Once that task/topic is closed or complete, be able to add a summary of the information gathered from the various sources viewed.

5.  I need to be able to add additional tasks/topics as I go...   for example, if I'm looking at a census and it lists that the person owned his house, then I want to be able to add a new task to search for a deed at that location and general date, or if I'm reading one source and it mentions another book or such, add either a completely new task or add a new source to an existing task.

6.  I need to be able to print reports that can be included with a project -  one of the full research log, showing a chronological list of what was researched, when and cost/time associated with it;  secondly a final summary tallying sources searched, hours and costs associated with that project.

7.  As part of the interface I'd like to have a screen with a list of the common topics/tasks with radial buttons or "add" buttons, etc.... so that I can go down and check the applicable items and add them to the to-do list   - example:  census records between the birth/death of a person, SSDI if they died after 1937, military records if they were of the proper age to have served during a war, etc...   

It would be nice if I could select events to add to a person in the db, that this source will be associated with if the events are not already on the person's view but that's not my primary goal.    I really need a way of keeping my research notes as I go...streamline the process of recording this information...and be able to generate reports from it.

A to-do list such as some genealogy programs have tend to go unused, because it's such drudgery to add the to-do items to begin with.   This could help streamline that process so now, you'd select your sources (that you know of and have in the source list already) and add them to each item....now you have a nice list to start recording your notes and findings in....a RESEARCH TOOL

Some of this I have to keep in an excel spreadsheet right now, but it's not particularly useful for recording my notes and I'd rather have an integrated tool that works WITH my TNG data, not in some other program requiring much of the same data entry....

Thanks,

Trudy

OscarMisty

I know this was logged over 6 months ago but I have to admit it would be very useful for me as well so I wondered if anyone was progressing this.

Thanks

raisondetre

I realize this is a very old post but I thought I would offer a possible simple solution that 'might' work for others. First, I do not use the 'Private' indicator for Notes very often. If you do use that on a regular basis then stop here because this idea won't work very well for you. I use the notes field to remind myself of next steps . . . leading the assignment with the words, "Research Task:" and then mark the Private box. These are then easily brought up under a Notes search - looking for Private notes only. I expect a report would be fairly easy to generate if needed using find "Research Task" in Notes as criteria.  I'm sure there is a better way by now but just throwing this 'out there' . . .