TNG Community
Dieter Plassmann

Modern touch for genealogy

Dieter Plassmann

Dear TNG community,

I plan to launch a site to stimulate (beside the older generation) the younger generation in my family. So far an aunt of mine has organised family meetings and created a huge word document with the family history. This contains tree charts for the diverse branches and a single page with characteristics, contact details and stories for each person.

Now we would like to bring thinks to the next and following generation with a more modern approach with a family web site.

So far I have been looking at TNG and webtrees. Both with an impressive feature set. 

However both lack on social network functions and addressing to reach out for the younger generation, who interacts with instagram, whatsapp, wechat (QR code), Facebook URL, LinkedIn URL, etc.

Browsing through the forums I found the people want to stick strictly to the GEDCOM specification, which does not include such data fields per person.

Even the address is an “event” that may include an e-mail, phone number and URL, which sound weird for me.

Actually I’m looking for a simple solution that allows me to add some of those attributes to the living persons of today. Because those are the ones I would like to share the work with and those I would like to support to communicate easy to each other.

If all else fails I’m thinking of setting up a Wordpress page for each person on which I can include such attributes and link those as “address” event to genealogy site.

I would wonder, if there is a simpler (rather integrated) solution that some one can point me to.

Thanks a lot for you help.

With best regards

Dieter

Merv

HI Dieter,

You can set up a media collection just for social media or you could set up separate collections for each type of social media if you like.  Email and Personal Blogs would be similar. You simply connect the person's social media address to their personal page. What you could also do is use the social media icon for your users to easily identify what type of social media the link points to.

Cap.png

bobbyfamilytree
5 hours ago, Merv said:

HI Dieter,

You can set up a media collection just for social media or you could set up separate collections for each type of social media if you like.  Email and Personal Blogs would be similar. You simply connect the person's social media address to their personal page. What you could also do is use the social media icon for your users to easily identify what type of social media the link points to.

Cheers. I'll be looking into this.