TNG Community
Dieter Plassmann

Customising of charts

Dieter Plassmann

Dear TNG community,

I would like to understand how can I customise graphical view of the charts.

Particular I’m looking for a function that allows to view parameters in “Descendants Charts”.

More specific I would like to add numbering to the chart similar to the PDF function, but in chart view including to provide the start number.

E.g. the male in the 1. generation might be the 9th child. Thus, I would like to start with 9.

In the 5th generation a child might have than the number 9-5-2-1-1 (or just 95211).

A prefix for the family name of that branch might be nice as well like P-9-5-2-1-1.

In a more generic way other parameters might be nice such ocupation, place of living etc.

Finally, a way to customise such a chart for printing (PDF) would be great.

E.g. a landscape view with the first generation at top.

Maybe I’m wrong but I cannot find such or even similar functions in TNG out of the box.

I also looked at webtrees which has a numbering function but does not allow to set the starting number.

Thus, my question is what is need to get this function.

If the answer is “write a mod yourself”, then please give me some more hints where and how to start as well as an idea, if it is “reachable” with reasonable effort.

Thanks a lot for you help.

With best regards

Dieter

P.S.: For those who would like to know why I do need this.

In fact the example above is real. The purpose is regular family meetings with a large number of people. For those an grand uncle of mine has introduced the numbering scheme. Each person gets his number printed and attached. With a large printed tree view of all the descendants all people can easily find the relations.

Merv

Hi Dieter,

I can't see the point of having a numbering system on charts. People can see where they sit on any of the charts.

If they can't easily find their relationship then they are probably looking at the wrong chart.

Have you got a graphical  example of what you are trying to achieve?

Dieter Plassmann

Dear Merv,

sure, enclosed please find an example, with the correct numbering.

With best regards

Dieter

9 Tree.pdf

Merv

Hi Dieter,

I'm still not quite seeing the value in this approach. People will find a photo of a person and/ot their name before they figure out a code.

But yes, anything is possible if you want it bad enough.

It would require adding coding similar to the PDF file to the chart file that you want the numbers to appear.