TNG Community

clean gedcom, custom export

bobbyfamilytree

bobbyfamilytree

occassionally I send off my gedcom (which I make through TNG) to ancestry and a few other sites just to have them their to get potential contacts. Ideally, i'd like the gedcom to just have the basic info of BMD  - names/dates/places. I dont want anything else in the gedcom (IE - i want to remove notes and sources and whatever else I have added). I've looked online for a site to do this but cant find anywhere. 

Does TNG have a gedcom mod of some sort that would maybe do something like this or does someone know anywhere online? (I cant download programs for my computer because i'm using ChromeOS)

Thanks.

Family Historian has a utility called 'Split Tree Helper' that allows you to save a GEDCOM with a range of data exclusions of your choice. I have used this to create a sub-set of my main GEDCOM for Genes Reunited.

bobbyfamilytree

Thanks for suggestion @Hiraeth

However, I cant install Family Historian or any exe files. It looks good though and no doubt will benefit other users.

I'm looking for something online that can do this.

• 1 year later...
bobbyfamilytree

I see i have posted this request before and it keeps coming up for my situation.

I only use TNG, and sometimes wish to export my gedcom to another site for DNA, or just because. What I need to do is remove all notes, sources etc and only keep basic data - IE - birth, marriage and death.

I havent seen any mods that can do this, perhaps also a request for future versions of TNG to give more options for export.

bobbyfamilytree

Ok, many thanks manofmull for suggestion. 

I have backed my Tables (I regularly do this)

I deleted notes and sources from the tables, then downloaded gedcom and uploaded it to ancestry, and it contained all notes (7500) so i deleted. doesnt sound right does it, something is amiss.

So repeating this process from the start. If I restore the notes and sources, I get the error message "Cannot open file tng_sources.bakCannot open file tng_xnotes.bak (permissions are at 664)

There are backups of this in the backups folder, and when I check my site if it contains the notes and sources, it does. I'll keep testing...

bobbyfamilytree
17 minutes ago, bobbyfamilytree said:

So repeating this process from the start. If I restore the notes and sources, I get the error message "Cannot open file tng_sources.bakCannot open file tng_xnotes.bak (permissions are at 664

So backed up the tables and the notes and sources were restored. Looks like they were never deleted, but the backup file was...

bobbyfamilytree

OK, I deleted notes and sources.

Logged out.

Logged in

Cleared cache

Export ..

Screenshot 2017-05-21 at 7.02.59 PM.png

So when you delete the notes and sources in Utilities, it deletes the 2 files in my backups folder (in Cpanel) but not the notes and sources attached to the people in my tree. 

bobbyfamilytree
3 minutes ago, manofmull said:

Sorry, Utilities was the wrong place (duh). You'd have to delete notes and sources in Admin (top section)

Sorry not sure where you are referring to here... (cpanel?)

bobbyfamilytree

So before i go ahead and do this the only thing I need to do is backup utilities. Then I can delete notes and sources, as above. Then export gedcom. Then restore the notes and sources and it will grab the .bak files and restore those.

• 1 month later...
bobbyfamilytree
On 5/21/2017 at 7:14 PM, manofmull said:

Sorry, Utilities was the wrong place (duh). You'd have to delete notes and sources in Admin (top section). If you have loads of notes, would be quicker to delete in CP I guess

I've got quite a few pages of sources and notes to delete so its best I do this in control panel, where abouts are the file(s) kept?

Chris Lloyd
On 27/03/2016 at 1:59 AM, bobbyfamilytree said:

However, I cant install Family Historian or any exe files. It looks good though and no doubt will benefit other users.

I'm looking for something online that can do this.

I gather that means that you are using a Mac? I have found Gramps, which also works on Mac, to be extremely useful in the way it allows the splitting and editing of a gedcom. I used it to create direct ancestor only gedcoms to make public on DNA sites

bobbyfamilytree
8 minutes ago, Chris Lloyd said:

I gather that means that you are using a Mac? I have found Gramps, which also works on Mac, to be extremely useful in the way it allows the splitting and editing of a gedcom. I used it to create direct ancestor only gedcoms to make public on DNA sites

Using ChromeOS.

Chris Lloyd

Ok not sure if gramps works on that - does with unix/linux, win and Mac

bobbyfamilytree
4 minutes ago, Chris Lloyd said:

Ok not sure if gramps works on that - does with unix/linux, win and Mac

Yeh only on the newer ones that support Android apps. Mine doesnt.