TNG Community
tendril

Same Sex Marriage

tendril

Hi there

There doesn't seem to be a functionality for same sex marriages. The software assumes there to be a man and a woman but no option for man and man or woman and woman.

Am I missing something?

Thanks

theKiwi

TNG allows same sex marriage - you can either import them in a GEDCOM file, or you can create them in TNG.

Yes, some of the terminology is gender specific like Father and Mother under the Spouse/Partners label, but a marriage can be created between 2 people of the same gender.

Roger

wkenddad

Only solution some may see specific would be to change the hard coded Father/Mother to Parent 1/Parent 2

tendril
1 hour ago, theKiwi said:

Thanks Roger and wkenddad

Yes I have set up the same sex family, also used the association function, so I know it is possible, and from a front end perspective it all looks OK, it's just that in the admin section>families the list is ordered by Mother's name.

As the other admin on my site is one of the parteners in the new marriage I'd like to get it a bit less gender specific. I have some experience with coding xhtml and php and using mySQL databases but changing the terminology from Mother/Father to Parent 1/Parent 2 is a little more than I'd like to attempt without some help.....

Would it be as easy as renaming the tables in the database or will I need to change some of the xhtml/php too?

Any help with this appreciated.

Sorry for not providing a link to the site but we have it set to only allow people to view who are logged in.

Thanks

Peter

theKiwi

Try putting these lines in to the cust_text.php file for the language(s) you're using and then change the word between the " " marks to what you want it to say (note leave the " " marks in place, and do NOT alter what is between the [' '] characters)

$admtext['father'] = "Father";
		$admtext['mother'] = "Mother";
		$text['husband'] = "Father";
		$text['wife'] = "Mother";
		$text['mothername'] = "Mother's Name";
		$text['fathername'] = "Father's Name";

Roger