TNG Community
Britany Johnson

Guests Suggesting Changes

Britany Johnson

I am not receiving any e-mails when one of my users suggests an edit on a person in my tree.  My e-mail address is correct, and I have the " Notify on reviewable submissions"option set to yes.  Are there any other settings I need to change?  I have only had TNG for a few weeks and I'm trying to figure everything out.

Thank you,

Britany

Chris Lloyd

Hi Britany

This may be an issue with your hosting company - it is possible that your host requires the email address to be one that uses the same domain name e.g. genealogy@yourdomain.com where your website is at yourdomain.com

Britany Johnson
2 minutes ago, Chris Lloyd said:

Hi Britany

This may be an issue with your hosting company - it is possible that your host requires the email address to be one that uses the same domain name e.g. genealogy@yourdomain.com where your website is at yourdomain.com

Hi Chris, I am using simply hosting. Are you familiar with their requirements?

Chris Lloyd

No Sorry :)

Merv

Hi,

Is the email addy set correctly in the tree setup?

Merv

Capture.JPG

Britany Johnson
On 2/18/2016 at 7:39 PM, Merv said:

Hi,

Is the email addy set correctly in the tree setup?

Merv

Capture.JPG

Yes it is, Merv.  Thank you for your reply.  Do you have any other suggestions?  I still have not gotten this figured out.

Merv
4 hours ago, Britany Johnson said:

Yes it is, Merv.  Thank you for your reply.  Do you have any other suggestions?  I still have not gotten this figured out.

Question... By what method(s) do your users suggest edits?

Britany Johnson
On 2/18/2016 at 7:39 PM, Merv said:

We have it set up for our guests to submit a suggestion by clicking on the "suggest" tab at the top of an individuals profile.

Chris Lloyd

Britany

Give us a url for your site so we can see it and try to replicate your problem

Cheers

Chris

Edited by Chris Lloyd
typo

Merv

Have you a different email addy that you can test with? ... yup, as Chris suggests, a link to your site may be helpful with diagnosis

jayat1familytree

Brittany

What is the email you have set at  Admin>Setup><Mail and Registration ?

Britany Johnson

The e-mail I am using is an @gmail.com address.  I have another e-mail account through AOL that I tested with, but I have the same problem with that address, too.

Also, when the user that is suggesting changes checks the box that says "send a copy to this address," they are not getting a copy sent to their e-mail either.

My site is www.johnsonalach.com and I use simply hosting to host it.

I hope one of you can help me figure this out!

Merv
16 hours ago, Britany Johnson said:

The e-mail I am using is an @gmail.com address.  I have another e-mail account through AOL that I tested with, but I have the same problem with that address, too.

Also, when the user that is suggesting changes checks the box that says "send a copy to this address," they are not getting a copy sent to their e-mail either.

My site is www.johnsonalach.com and I use simply hosting to host it.

I hope one of you can help me figure this out!

Hi,

I have tested both the "contact us" link on your home page and the suggest tab on an individuals page and have had my email sent to me okay.

I tested with my gmail addy. Did you receive anything at your end?

Merv

What I do notice though is that the link to the individuals page below is missing your website addy. It should read  http://johnsonalach.com/getperson.php?personID=I115&tree=johnsonalach. It may pay to check your URL setting... Admin >> Setup >> Configuration >> General Settings>> Site Design and Definition >> Genealogy URL: The setting  http://johnsonalach.com

Capture.JPG

Britany Johnson

Merv,

I made the change you suggested in the "Site Design and Definition" setting. 

I DID receive your e-mails from your gmail account.  I did some testing on my own and I realized that when I submit a change with my gmail address, it will go through.  However, when I test it out with other addresses (I tried an AOL address and a yahoo address), it does not work.  It's very strange.  Any ideas why this might be happening?

It's frustrating that only my guests with gmail addresses are able to suggest changes.

Merv

Hi Britnay,

I've tried the same thing with my "..@xtra.co.nz" addy and the return email was sent to me okay (attached). Did you receive that?

The proper link to the individuals page now appears so it looks like at least that is now sorted.

Merv

Capture.JPG

Britany Johnson

Hi Merv,

Yes, I did get the e-mail with your @xtra.co.nz account. I tried again and tested out the AOL and yahoo emails, but they still are not working. I'm at a loss as to why some emails work and others don't. 

Merv

Hi B,

FYI... My xtra account is hosted by yahoo. I do not have an AOL addy.

A few things you could try

• put the affected email address through a verification site
  • make sure that the affected addys are not blocking mail from your domain
  • check your junk mail

Merv

Britany Johnson

HI Merv,

Well, I did what you suggested and put those e-mail addresses through an e-mail verification website.  The strange thing is that they said those e-mail addresses were bad.  However, one of them is my husband's yahoo account and the other is my son's AOL account, so I know they are not bad e-mail addresses.   I don't know what would be causing this.  Any ideas?

Thanks,

Britany

jayat1familytree

Britany,  

Admin>Setup>general Settings>Mail

I think you have "send all mail from address above" set to yes

so the email is going OUT from your @GMAIL server but with a @aol or other @domain and that is a sure flag for potential spam, so its getting blocked. 

try changing that to no (or visa versa)

Britany Johnson
12 minutes ago, jayat1familytree said:

Britany,  

Admin>Setup>general Settings>Mail

I think you have "send all mail from address above" set to yes

so the email is going OUT from your @GMAIL server but with a @aol or other @domain and that is a sure flag for potential spam, so its getting blocked. 

try changing that to no (or visa versa)

I had that preference set to "no" and when I changed it to "yes" it solved this problem.  However, now the e-mails say they are coming from me instead of the person who sent them.  I guess I would rather deal with that then my users not being able to suggest changes at all.

Thanks for your help!

Chris Lloyd
5 hours ago, Britany Johnson said:

so I know they are not bad e-mail addresses.   I don't know what would be causing this.  Any ideas?

Thanks,

Britany

They email addresses may have been 'spoofed' and that could result in them being flagged as bad - a lot of spam messaging is sent using 'spoofed' emails. Spoofed means that they appear to be from a specific address but were in fact sent from another one but automated monitors can't always see that part.

jayat1familytree

Britany, 

Yes, I have the same issue that all the messages are coming "from ME" I was hoping someone might chime in with a workaround for that?? 

Maybe the subject line needs to include their email address as well as the name of the person they are submitting info for.