TNG Community
annvwuelfing

Unable to run Sort Children after imports

annvwuelfing

Would it be possible to get a command line statement to run the Sort Children process?  This is one of the secondary processes to be run after an import and it always times out leaving me with out-of-order families.  The Sort Spouses one has never failed - just the child one.  The same thing often happens when I run the actual import and a few years ago Darrin was able to provide a command to restart it when it times out.  So I was hoping there would be an alternate way to get the sort to run.

Ken Roy

If you import your data, TNG honors the sort order of spouses and children from the desktop software.  There is really no reason to run the sorts in the secondary process if you maintain the correct order in your desktop software.

annvwuelfing

Thanks for the response, Ken.  However, I was told in the past that the sort would clear up a problem I have with the order of children who are privatized - I assume because it uses some sort of child order indicator instead of the DOB (which, I assume is missing from the GEDCOM records for privatized individuals).  Since I have never been able to run the sort, of course, I haven't been able to test this theory.  Do you have any information on the subject?  Unfortunately, I don't know enough about GEDCOM files to be able to check the information actually being produced by my desktop program, Family Tree Maker.  It is possible the fault lies there.

theKiwi

When you say "Privatised" - are you referring to the export from your genealogy software, or to your settings in TNG?

If your genealogy software does the privatising then there will be no information in the GEDCOM file that TNG can use to do the Sorting.

There is no "child order indicator" in a GEDCOM file - as Ken notes, it is based on the order listed in the FAM section of the GEDCOM file.

Roger

Chris Lloyd

There's a very useful gedcom viewer made by Mudcreek software that lets you see all the detail in a gedom. That way you could check all the data that would be imported.

Also means that you can edit the gedcom as a text file to correct or add what you need.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Chris

Pat Downs

I wish there was a way to tell TNG to always display children in date of birth order?  Maybe an Administration setting I could choose?

Pat Downs

Solved!  There is a secondary process in Admin / Import called Sort the Children.  It sorted 2,400 families in less than 2 seconds, oldest first.  Just what I wanted.

fluffy82

I am still having this same issue. Unfortunately, my desktop program (FTM) displays children and spouses in chronological order, but doesn't save them like that in the database. So when exporting a gedcom, the order is mingled. Editing the gedcom manually and sort thousands of children/families one by one is nit an option either.

After my import yesterday, spouses were in order after running the command 17 (!) times. Trying to do the kids now. I'm at 40 times but it still times out...

I can't keep on doing that after each import (which I try to do weekly, sometimes up to 3x a week).