TNG Community
Sign in to follow this  
mkel2010

Thumbnail Creation Only Partially Completes

mkel2010

I have a bit over 11,000 jpg files for my site, which is currently running on a wampserver on my local computer so I can learn about TNG before uploading my site to the Internet. After importing my Gedcom and the media associated with it, I used the Create Thumbnails feature in TNG to create thumbnails for all the images. TNG created thumbnails for roughly half of the files in the Photos folder. Does anyone have any idea why it would only pick up half the images?

My next though was to just identify the ones that didn't have thumbnails and use Photoshop to create them. The problem with that idea is that TNG PREPENDS the thumb designator in the file name instead of APPENDING it. If the thumb designation was appended, then it would be a simple matter of sorting by file name and grabbing the images without a thumb. Any way this change might be considered in future versions?

theKiwi

The prefix and suffix for thumbnail images are both settings in TNG Admin ------> Setup ------> General Settings ------> Media

You can prepend a suffix or append it

In my case I'm prepending a folder name so they end up in a sub-folder

It seems like in your case you have something in the Prefix setting and nothing in the suffix setting when you really want it the other way around?!

Roger

mkel2010

Thanks for the quick reply, Roger. Actually, I was just looking for a way to be able to sort the files in Windows Explorer and quickly identify which ones in the folder didn't have thumbnails. If the thumbs designation was appended then I could sort by filename and  would have seen the original file name immediately followed by the thumb file name.   I was hoping to avoid having to churn through 11,000+ files in Photoshop (which I'm doing now.) It's good to know, though, that the setting can be changed and I appreciate that information.

Any idea why TNG would only create thumbs for half of the files in the photos folder? 

theKiwi
2 hours ago, mkel2010 said:

Any idea why TNG would only create thumbs for half of the files in the photos folder? 

Because the PHP process timed out?

Because the PHP process ran out of memory?

Have you tried running it again (and again and again) to see if it completes any more of them?

There's no harm in running it more than once - it doesn't try and do them all again unless you ask it to, it just churns away on those that don't have a thumb yet.

Roger

mkel2010

I figured it out: For some reason, TNG is extremely sensitive to the file size of the image file when generating thumbnails. Nearly all the original images came from Ancestry.com (Census records, death certificates, etc.) so the file sizes all varied considerably. I was able to resize all the images in one go with Photoshop, setting the image canvas size to 1024x768 pixels and a quality of six (out of 12.) Once that was done, I re-ran the thumbnail generator and it completed successfully.

Chris Lloyd

Good to know - thanks