TNG Community
hopperson

Online Newspaper Archives - free?

hopperson

Finding it really frustrating that the online newspaper archives for Australia ('Trove'), New Zealand ('Papers Past'), and the USA ('Chronicling America') are free to access, view and download individual articles. But here in the UK the British Library's 'British Newspaper Archive' charges £12.95/month or £79.95/year subscription to view/download any articles. I've done a quick search for 'Willis' in the Dover Express and found quite a number of articles which I'd love to read and add to my TNG site at The Willis Tree , but the cost is prohibitive!

Edited by hopperson

bobbyfamilytree

We sure it good here in Australia with free online newspapers. I use it all the time.

Now I do have free access to some UK newpsapers... let me have a look at which ones....

The Times/The Sunday Times/Database lists Members of the University of Oxford 1715-1812/

There is another that is called Gale Newsvault, which can search a few newspapers at once.

I couldnt see Dover express but if you would like me to search across the newspapers I have listed no worries - just give me something a bit specific. 

Maybe PM me if interested.

Newfloridian

What genealogy research tools do you pay for? Family history research isn't a cheap hobby!  I guess I maintain a subscription to both Ancestry and Findmypast (expensive- yes, but serving somewhat different if overlapping libraries). Findmypast full subscription gives you access to the British Library Newspaper Archive.

Alan

bobbyfamilytree

What genealogy research tools do you pay for? Family history research isn't a cheap hobby!  I guess I maintain a subscription to both Ancestry and Findmypast (expensive- yes, but serving somewhat different if overlapping libraries). Findmypast full subscription gives you access to the British Library Newspaper Archive.

Alan

​Ancestry.com access I do via library, or when they have freebies. I have also taken out a few of the free 14 day trials. I have never paid for full access and dont intend too at this stage.

Findmypast, I use when they have freebies. I have also taken out a few of the free 14 day trials. I have never paid for full access. Sometimes they have dirt cheap 3 or 1 month access, which I may take out.

I'm a member of my state library, which entities me too access (from home) different websites for free, like those I have mentioned in my second post, plus other sites.

I try to regularly buy birth/marriage and death documents, they are the backbone to my tree. Its expensive to purchase them from any state government, so I use a transcription agent which has been registered with the birth/marriage and deaths department.

I've had quite a lot of folks share documents and stuff with me because they have come across my site. Not possible without having my tree online.

hopperson

Thanks everyone.  I was with The Genealogist for about three years, then couldn't afford to renew.  Now I'm at the stage in my research where I want to add personal life details to my ancestors and newspapers are a great source for this kind of info.  I think I'll go for Find My Past - might even have a look at the 1939 Register as well!