TNG Community
jpjones55

Can the TNG templates be used?

jpjones55

I finally got the Wordpress-TNG plugin to work.  My question is now, Can i use any of the tng templates inside my Genealogy page in Wordpress?  I know the wiki instruction said to turn that off, for now, so that kind of left the door open for it....

theKiwi

You can, but you end up showing all of the TNG header and footer and sidebars inside the WordPress theme, which can then get messy for styling for one thing.

My site which you've looked at is not using any TNG theme - it just uses the css/mytngstyle.css file to make TNG's colours match the Suffusion theme's colours. I have created a custom index.php page that replaces the base TNG index.php page, but apart from that I'm not missing any of the functionality that would be found in the headers and footers of a TNG Theme.

Roger

jpjones55

Roger, thanks for the timely response and the info. I guess I'll follow suit and create my own also.  I'll try not to duplicate your site in any way, but i do like how you have the index.php laid out.  I got some ideas, probably base some of it on one or more of the tng themes, but not to heavy.  Thanks again!

mahesh

Roger, thanks for the timely response and the info. I guess I'll follow suit and create my own also.  I'll try not to duplicate your site in any way, but i do like how you have the index.php laid out.  I got some ideas, probably base some of it on one or more of the tng themes, but not to heavy.  Thanks again!

Or you take an easy way out, like I did, and build all your tng requirements in wordpress menu. You may see that on my site. It is protected. If interested, use view, tngview to log in.

jpjones55

Thanks Mahesh, I'll give it a look.

jpjones55

Roger, fyi, the tng templates cannot be used with the tng plugin.  well, they can but they don't display within the wordpress theme..  Also if I may ask, how did you get most of your tng pages enclosed with the rounded corners?  i like that and would like to try that look.  thanks.

theKiwi

Roger, fyi, the tng templates cannot be used with the tng plugin.  well, they can but they don't display within the wordpress theme..  ​

Sure they can - take a look at the attached... 

Also if I may ask, how did you get most of your tng pages enclosed with the rounded corners?  i like that and would like to try that look

I don't remember offhand - but if you take a look at one of the pages you should find it in the css - probably in the css/mytngstyle.css for the "tng_main" div settings.

Roger

Screen Shot 2015-11-16 at 12.54.53 PM.png

jpjones55

thanks for the info Roger.  I wonder how that works?  i tried with template 13 ( i like that one as you can see in my attachment).  i tried it just setting the template in tng admin and it rendered out of the wordpress theme.  anything special thats not in the wiki instructions? 

to clarify, i modified the default index.php to look like template 13.  i i can run template 13 within wordpress theme, tell me how.....

temp13.jpg

Edited by jpjones55
clarification

theKiwi

I can't think of anything that would be causing this - Template 13 works for me too, although I do notice that the index.php page jumps out of the WordPress theme. Not sure why that would be, but it could/should be able to be fixed.

But I guess I don't get the attraction of essentially having two headers on the page - the WordPress header and then the TNG header inside that.

Roger

Screen Shot 2015-11-16 at 7.23.34 PM.png

jpjones55

Thanks again Roger.  and i can understand about the 2 headers now that you mention it...does look kind of.....well you know what i mean.