TNG Community
BrainSmashR

rss feed

BrainSmashR

cool....

Edited by BrainSmashR

BrainSmashR

Yikes...it literally posts everything.  
Initially dumped all of my media into 1 folder and I'm slowly sorting them into their proper locations.  Had about 30 status updates post to Facebook in the process  :)

Merv

my tngrss.php doesn't appear to be a valid rss feed. Any clues?

Capture.JPG

theKiwi

The feed is at whakapapaonline.com/tngrss.php

But it seems like your site is locked to require a password to view that page, so that's why I can't see it, and nor can the validator.

Roger

Merv

Thanks Roger,

That never occurred to me but explains my situation. My site requires all users to login.

Not a biggie - I will advise users that it is a privacy and security measure and to visit the what's new page for updates:)

Merv

Craig Arno

Glad to see this post, same problem, same reason.  Temporarily turned off "Require Login" and "RSS" is suddenly valid and operational.

I have to leave Require Login ON because (1) my TNG installation recently came under attack [from Russia of all places], (2) One of the thousands in my system complained that they found their genealogy information using Google and felt this might provide information to answer bank questions to gain access to their account.  On the plus side, another genealogy effort found my site and was able to add a few more family branches before I closed the system with "require login". Making only one person "private" skirts the issue. I don't need family upset with me.

Merv
23 hours ago, Craig Arno said:

Glad to see this post, same problem, same reason.  Temporarily turned off "Require Login" and "RSS" is suddenly valid and operational.

I have to leave Require Login ON because (1) my TNG installation recently came under attack [from Russia of all places], (2) One of the thousands in my system complained that they found their genealogy information using Google and felt this might provide information to answer bank questions to gain access to their account.  On the plus side, another genealogy effort found my site and was able to add a few more family branches before I closed the system with "require login". Making only one person "private" skirts the issue. I don't need family upset with me.

Interesting... Was that person who found their info on Google flagged as living? I would have thought that information would have been blocked if it was.

I would like to open my site for short periods of time to allow non-registered family to browse the site, but if the information of living people is compromised, then that will not be possible.

Yes it is a concern these cyber attacks. Fortunately I haven't had to deal with one of these as yet but I do notice that my homepage gets a lot of visits from China and I have no Chinese relatives.

Chris Lloyd

I manage ordinary websites for a lot of businesses in New Zealand and they are always under probes from China followed by Eastern Europe.....

Website security is a must :)

Craig Arno

Is there an RSS reader which works with TNG when Logins are enabled?  I've seen a few posts suggesting some sites require logins for RSS access, so what readers support this necessary feature with TNG?

Figured I'm asking the wrong question when I say, I'm trying to make Thunderbird RSS Reader work with Logins enabled and it isn't working. 10+ year old RSS Login bug in Thunderbird.  I'm real happy with how most of TNG works, so maybe there is another way.  Or is RSS a dead topic?   Thanks.

Craig Arno
On 7/17/2016 at 10:50 AM, Merv said:

Interesting... Was that person who found their info on Google flagged as living? I would have thought that information would have been blocked if it was.

Yes, the person was flagged as 'living'.

This person's profile is now also marked as 'private' with login's enabled, so hopefully nobody can see their profile while not disrupting the tree with a loss of information connecting grandparents with grandchildren.  A non-admin login shows a 'private' bubble which is what I hoped.  What Google can/can't see is still a question.  Anyway, this is an RSS thread.