TNG Community

Same Person MOD - new table ate my dB

MadRanger

If I should be in the other (now lost) users group, I apologize in advance.

I downloaded the Same Person MOD (v10.0.3.3) for installation on my test/XAMPP site (v10.0.3). I got as far as the Rename step - which successfully created the table --- but it would appear at the same time to have also emptied all the others tables. For emphasis - all the tables are empty. I suspected that when I went to see if I could add a same person link to a grandfather who was no longer listed. No one was listed.

Figuring with busted logic that I could reload the recent backup, I went to the admin page -- but could not enter as the Admin. Why? Well Regis, I suppose because the tng_users table was empty. I then went to the localhost phpMyAdmin and added myself to the otherwise empty tng_users table. I still could not get in. (That is also when I confirmed that all tables were slick - empty - void.)

Could someone please provide me with (additional) steps to take to get the XAMPP site running again? Before I break something else...

With my thanks and appreciation.

Regis

EDIT: 15:55...the Census Plus tables were not emptied.

EDIT: 16:14...the home page is intact. Still can't login...previous attempts at login were via the genealogy/index.php screen

Edited by MadRanger

The Same Person Link mod should not delete or clear any existing database tables.  I don't understand your comment about a Rename step.

You should be able to backup your existing hosting database and restore it on your XAMPP environment.  Note that I do not use XAMPP but rather using WampServer which provides an integrated environment.

Ken,

Thank you for your reply.

With respect to the "rename" step, the MOD WIKI offers this: "once the Same Person Link table (tng_sameperson) is created the button is changed to Rename"

I clicked that button to see what it offered since I was on the XAMPP site. Methinks that is where things went wrong. If I am correct, it is a real gotcha!

I still have not been able to get back  into the XAMPP site - the ID/PW set I reentered via phpMyAdmin is not being accepted. So I am curious if I must also add other data into another table to get things working again. With that thought in mind, I went back to the readme.html file to see if it would help me work through the problem. It did not. When I entered data at the various steps of Express Installation, the replies were: "You must log in first." Since I can't log in I can't get the readme.html to work to my advantage...Catch 22.

Can you - or any other reader - offer a suggestion to get the XAMPP site open - what might I be missing with the User table entries? I get no error messages when I create the user entry. And I don't get emails when I attempt to get a reminder message - it is as if there is no connection between the login screen and the dB. Well beyond my expertise.

Thanks,

Regis

OK...in looking for a solution to the dB connection I found a YouTube video with "Connect to MySQL with PHP in XAMPP / Create a new database" : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueWpNe0PG34

The speaker/presenter saved his file containing $user, $pass, $db variables as connect.php.

In what file does TNG store those same variables? In asking, I am assuming it is an alternative to entering the data via phpMyAdmin - which I have not been able to make work.

EDIT: It appears that the file with the variables is admin_login.php. And with my skill set it may not be to my advantage to edit it...

Thanks,

Regis

Edited by MadRanger

jayat1familytree

Regis, 

If you look in your config.php  you will see those entries for $user, $pass, $db variables 

You can open the config.php in notepad++ editor.... 

Just be careful that you dont edit the file for your XAMPP and then upload the same to your ISP server as that will have different values..

Hope that helps

Jay 

Jay,

Thank you. I examined the config file and made no changes - was happy to see the proper entries.

I compared the tng_users table entry for myself in the XAMPP db with the live site entry - they are the same. Still, when I try to log in I get "Login failed." I may have to rebuild the XAMPP from GO and then restore the backup tables - but would really like to see if there is a reason why my credentials are not getting passed.

And...would like to understand why using the Express Installation as a "reset" requires a login - I don't recall that need on two previous installs (vice upgrades). Said login is not addressed in the Express Installation instructions - all that is required is to "1.Upload or copy all files and folders..."

Regis

Edited by MadRanger

jayat1familytree

Personally I would probably rebuild your XAMPP from scratch, dont use express but rather walk thru the setup step by step. 

Then restore tables (only retore your users table if the Admin name and pw are exact match to the backup table.)

not familar with XAMPP but I remember that in a WAMP setup I used the default root and no pw as a database connection

but you must have a distinct Admin user for login, which is one of the first steps in TNG

Hope that helps, if not , you may have to email Darrin directly on the Tng Users mail list. 

Jay 

Whether you do an Express or Regular install does not matter.  If you connect to a database that contains any data, you will get the must login message.

Try deleting any session cookies to your XAMPP site. 

Take a look at the TNG Wiki article on Database - Restore the link points to how to use the TNG backups in a phpMyAdmin restore.

Jay, thank you. I was about to proceed with rebuilding the XAMPP  -  having pondered your advice while helping a friend install five support posts for a new deck. But then saw Ken's last reply...

Ken,

Many thanks for "Take a look at the TNG Wiki article on Database - Restore"

I properly restored the tng_user table which then allowed my credentials to pass from my login page. From there the restore of the other tables was effortless. Back in business...

And I immediately reloaded the Same Person MOD, although I stopped at the "Create" step - I am no longer interested in the "Rename" option!

Regards,

Regis

Regis,

Glad to hear that you were able to recover your environment.  I am not able to re-create the problem with Rename, so I am not sure what happened there.

One should never have to completely rebuild there are always alternatives to recovering an environment.