TNG Community

Using XAMPP

GWood

I am trying to setup XAMPP to work with files on my home system before uploading to the live site. The install appears to have gone fine and it even will run the .php files that come with it but when I try to install TNG XAMPP will not process the .php files. They try to open with Microsoft Picture IT! instead. I tried switching between php5 and php4 but it did not matter. The .html pages load but if I click any of the button options in the readme file for installation they will not work either. Permissions all appear to be set correctly.

Any ideas from someone who has successfully set this system up would be wonderful. I am using the XAMPP version for Windows on XP with SP2. I have set all the ports under exceptions in the security center and can access all test files and phpMyadmin, which I used to even create a database.

Thanks!

Not sure why the TNG readme links won't work - do you have javascript enabled on your browser? Do they work in a different browser?

Did you put your TNG folder in the Apache server's htdocs folder? All web-accessible content (even for localhost) on Apache servers must be in htdocs.

Not sure why the TNG readme links won't work - do you have javascript enabled on your browser? Do they work in a different browser?

Did you put your TNG folder in the Apache server's htdocs folder? All web-accessible content (even for localhost) on Apache servers must be in htdocs.

Thanks for the reply. I do have the java script enabled and the TNG folder is in the htdocs folder. All the XAMPP demo programs work fine and it shows everything is ok. The .html pages are fine but the .php won't run. I switched from PHP 5 to 4 with the same results. I've stepped back through everything and I am sure it must be something simple I am missing. Any other ideas are sure appreciated!

Thanks for the reply. I do have the java script enabled and the TNG folder is in the htdocs folder. All the XAMPP demo programs work fine and it shows everything is ok. The .html pages are fine but the .php won't run. I switched from PHP 5 to 4 with the same results. I've stepped back through everything and I am sure it must be something simple I am missing. Any other ideas are sure appreciated!

Hi Gary,

under the apache/conf dir check httpd.conf

make sure that index.php is there:

<IfModule mod_dir.c>

DirectoryIndex index.php index.html index.htm

</IfModule>

Also these lines:

<IfModule mod_mime.c>

#

# AddType allows you to tweak mime.types without actually editing it, or to

# make certain files to be certain types.

#

AddType application/x-tar .tgz

AddType application/x-httpd-php .php

AddType application/x-httpd-php .php3

AddType application/x-httpd-php .phtml

and this lines (depending on php version):

LoadModule php5_module "C:/Program Files/wamp/php/php5apache.dll"

AddModule mod_php5.c

Well George, thanks for the input. Seems I was just typing with you about miniBB :wink:

I am off to try these changes and will let you know what the results are. Does it matter with TNG if I am using PHP 4 or 5?

Thanks again!!

Well George, thanks for the input. Seems I was just typing with you about miniBB :wink:

I am off to try these changes and will let you know what the results are. Does it matter with TNG if I am using PHP 4 or 5?

Thanks again!!

No, 4 or 5 works fine

Well, I reloaded everything, adjusted the file per instructions above (index.php was there) and get "Object Not Found" message when I enter the url into the Firefox browser. The following url;

http://localhost/xampp/index.php

Loads the XAMPP for Windows Version 1.5.1 and tells me everything was successful. I go through the test database inputs and .php scripts and they run without a hitch.

If I go to the folder, under htdocs, I set up with TNG, localfamgen, I get Object Not Found. If I click the .html files in the TNG folder they come up in explorer but the .php files prompt to open as a picture file still and once I click a make folder button or anything in readme.html I get error on page.

I am at a loss why the xampp index.php runs fine but none others do. I'm sure this is easier than what I am experiencing...any other ideas?

Thanks.

Addendum - It's amazing what happens as the eye lids get heavier. I reached for the hammer and saw!! I was entering the url all wrong...I tried the following and so far it seems to be working fine;

http://localhost/famgen/readme.html

I knew it must have been something simple!

• 1 year later...

I hope I will be excused for adding on to this thread?

Up until now I have just concentrated on TNG as an online website & enter all info directly into it "live".

Shortly our "family" are holding a couple of reunions as a picnic day & I think it will be a very good opportunity to gather some valuable info.

The venues will be most likely be where easy access to power & ADSL won't be available.

I am thinking setting up my laptop to run a local copy of TNG & running a small camp generator to keep things going once the 4 hour battery yells out.

Now to the main question. (sorry)

Is it / will it be feasable considering I'm likely to be entering photos, histories as well as usual persons & families?

Can someone perhaps elaborate a bit on the photo part of my question? Is it simply backup & restore backup?

Thankyou.........(in advance)

When you set out, if your laptop TNG database/folder structure is the same as your web TNG database/folder structure it will make things a little easier. You could backup your web tables and restore into your laptop tables.

After adding the photos into the laptop TNG, backup your laptop tables and restore into your web tables. Then, upload all the new photos and thumbs (maintaining the same folder structure between the two) to your web site TNG and everything should be just file without having to re-enter the media.

The only drawback is if there is additional information entered into your web TNG between the point of syncing to the laptop and re-upload of files from the laptop to the web, you would loose it.

Hopefully that makes a little sense...

Rush

Most certainly does.

Thankyou for that. I was worried about photos etc & you explained it nicely.

I was in fact thinking of setting up several laptops for the events & trying to merge at a later date but I suspect I'll eventually come unstuck.

I'm just imagining hundreds rushing me to enter info on the day!!!

Very much appreciated.

Most certainly does.

Thankyou for that. I was worried about photos etc & you explained it nicely.

I was in fact thinking of setting up several laptops for the events & trying to merge at a later date but I suspect I'll eventually come unstuck.

I'm just imagining hundreds rushing me to enter info on the day!!!

Very much appreciated.

Got it going OK on laptop except emails. (Don't need it)

As I'm only likely to be using the laptop for a weekend & then uploading the backup back to the "live" website once I get home, is it possible to lock the program for 48 hours? I have several contributers across the nation who I would prefer not do any updates during that time. I know on forums etc you can put up a flag "closed for maintenance". Anything similar here?

If not I'll create a temp one for anyone logging in I guess. Didn't really want to take it offline.

As far as I know, there really isn't a way to setup a 'maintenance flag' with TNG. I was trying to think of a good way to disable edits. Short of messing with users permissions (this might confuse the users), I think the best way might be to type up an email template and send that out about holding off with additions / deletions / edits for the weekend. If you have 10 or 12 users that routinely do edits, that wouldn't be to bad.

I thought maybe a quick news blurb on the site, but sometimes people overlook those things.

Hmmm.....

Rush