wkenddad

Page Editors

12 posts in this topic

Is there a good site editor that any of you use?

I recall using Dreamweaver when is was Macrovision (now Adobe)

I want something that I can load my site into and edit WYSIWYG

Most of them want to start from scratch and don't allow the import of existing pages.

My reason is that on my 27" iMac my site looks fabulous, but if I load it at work on an IBM running IE it looks a mess.

Thanks

www.Cervenka-Family.com

Most of them want to start from scratch and don't allow the import of existing pages.

My reason is that on my 27" iMac my site looks fabulous, but if I load it at work on an IBM running IE it looks a mess.

Thanks

www.Cervenka-Family.com

I think you have touched on a fundamental problem about browsers here. The various browsers dont all use the same working model and interpret the code presented to them to display on screen. Internet Explorer has been well recognised to be the worst offender. There has been a slow narrowing of the differences with each incarnation - so that IE10 is much closer to (say) Firefox or Chrome than IE6 was.

To see the effects, you could try searching the web for "IE 9 compatability mode".

At the end of the day you may need to consider two factors:

1. Use the standard xtml and css code set without any Microsoft or Mozilla proprietary additions

2. Check that your coding is semantically correct (it is surprising how well browsers cope with coding faults and display the page somehow anyway)

Try running your index page through the:

W3C Markup Validation Service

btw: What exactly is the 'messy' problem you are seeing in IE? I did look at your index page in IE10, Chrome and Firefox and they all responded similarly until resolution goes below about 1024x768

fwiw: I use codelobster as my (free) editor

Alan

on my 27" iMac my site looks fabulous, but if I load it at work on an IBM running IE it looks a mess.

As a supplemental, this wikipedia article might provide the explanation:

Quirks Mode

Alan

Thanks

www.Cervenka-Family.com

Well, if you're talking about TNG, then visual site editors don't help, because TNG is built by an application, not through raw HTML.

But when I do have to edit HTML pages and want to use a visual editor, I tend to use use Microsoft Expression Web, which is now free (and unsupported), as Microsoft has decided to put all of their application and HTML "eggs" into the Visual Studio 2013 basket.

- Robin

Looking for a page editor.   Thinking of using Notepad ++   (NPP).   Any suggestions?

Thank you,

Stan

I use notepad++ most often. Fast easy to use and helps to makes editing accurate

8 hours ago, Stan Kasper said:

Looking for a page editor.   Thinking of using Notepad ++   (NPP).   Any suggestions?

Unless you have the necessary skills requiring something more elaborate then stick with something tried & true ex: Notepad++. For editing of TNG pages you need nothing else.

I have used PSPad for years as well.

I use various editors, but for maximum flexibility and features, I use a free version of RJ TextED.  It caters to programmers, but also simple edits, any coding language you can come up with, and gives you sort, hex edit, column edit, etc.

RJ TextEd - A Unicode source and text editor.

RJ TextEd is a full featured text and source editor with Unicode support. It is also a very powerful web (PHP, ASP, JavaScript, HTML and CSS) development editor. The functionality extends beyond text files and includes support for CSS/HTML editing with integrated CSS/HTML preview, spell checking, auto completion, HTML validation, templates and more. The program also has a dual pane file commander, as well as a (S)FTP client to upload your files. Below is a small list of features available. For a full list check out the features section.

RJ TextEd is released as FREEWARE. https://www.rj-texted.se/

It really comes down to using something you are comfortable with. IMHO WYSIWYG editors often result in a lot of extra garbage and these are what can cause quite big differences in the way sites are rendered in the various browsers on different platforms.

As mentioned earlier notepad++ is a great general purpose editor and very easy to use.

I have also tried brackets http://brackets.io/

and emacs https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/ but ended up going back to notepad++ (probably because of familiarity)