TNG 11 is almost here! The currently estimated release date is about March 16 or 17, 2016. This major upgrade includes nearly a hundred fixes, enhancements and new features. Here’s a summary of the most significant changes:
- DNA: Aid your research by keeping track of DNA tests taken by the people in your tree. Enter the specifics once and link them to those affected.
- Fan Charts: A fan-oriented chart of ancestors can now be displayed for each person in your tree.
- Data Validation: Several preconfigured validation reports will help you spot potential errors in your data.
- New Design: Another new template has been added.
- Family Chart: This view shows a person’s spouse, children and parents all together on one page in graphical fashion.
- Mobile-Friendly: More improvements here will make your site even more usable on mobile devices.
- Administration: Enhancements to the Admin menu show quick totals for all data categories, plus an “Important Tasks” area to remind administrators of items that need attention.
- Heat Maps: Color codes on the Places, Surnames and Search Results pages now show the global distribution of surnames and places.
- Search: A Google search page now allows you to search across your entire site using Google’s indexes.
- Timeline: The Simile Timeline layout has been redesigned to be more readable, with separate bands for family and general events.
- Compatibility: Pro-active changes will make sure TNG remains compatible with the latest versions of PHP.
You’ll be able to get the upgrade at a discount ($14.99) by going back to your previous downloads page. If you’ve lost the URL or access info, send me a message at firstname.lastname@example.org and I’ll send it to you again. If you only purchased TNG or the v10 upgrade recently (in the past 6 months), you’ll be eligible to get the upgrade for free.
Also take note that Simply Hosting does not install upgrades. A helpful 15-minute video will be available to walk you through the process, but there will also be an option to pay an extra $15 to have the upgrade installed for you. If you’re doing the upgrade yourself, take a minute to review the post here from the v10 release on helpful tips for a successful upgrade.