TNG Community

Navigation Sidebar

Seeria

Hello all :)

Can someone point to where I can change the navigation menu sidebar? Not sure which skin I'm using, think it was default (found here http://antoirair.com/genealogydb/). And on that note, where do I change that anyhow? :)

Kind regards

See

See,

The left nav menu is typically in the topmenu.php file of whatever template you are using.

Ah I think I found it

echo "<a href=\"$cms[tngpath]searchform.php\" class=\"lightlink\">$text[mnuadvancedsearch]</a><br />\n";
    echo "<a href=\"$cms[tngpath]surnames.php\" class=\"lightlink\">$text[mnulastnames]</a><br />\n";
    echo "<a href=\"$cms[tngpath]whatsnew.php\" class=\"lightlink\">$text[mnuwhatsnew]</a><br />\n";
    echo "<a href=\"$cms[tngpath]mostwanted.php\" class=\"lightlink\">$text[mostwanted]</a><br />\n";
    echo "<a href=\"$cms[tngpath]browsemedia.php?mediatypeID=photos\" class=\"lightlink\">$text[mnuphotos]</a><br />\n";
    echo "<a href=\"$cms[tngpath]browsemedia.php?mediatypeID=histories\" class=\"lightlink\">$text[mnuhistories]</a><br />\n";
    echo "<a href=\"$cms[tngpath]browsemedia.php?mediatypeID=documents\" class=\"lightlink\">$text[documents]</a><br />\n";
    echo "<a href=\"$cms[tngpath]browsemedia.php?mediatypeID=videos\" class=\"lightlink\">$text[videos]</a><br />\n";
    echo "<a href=\"$cms[tngpath]browsemedia.php?mediatypeID=recordings\" class=\"lightlink\">$text[recordings]</a><br />\n";
    echo "<a href=\"$cms[tngpath]browsealbums.php\" class=\"lightlink\">$text[albums]</a><br />\n";
    echo "<a href=\"$cms[tngpath]browsemedia.php\" class=\"lightlink\">$text[allmedia]</a><br />\n";
    echo "<a href=\"$cms[tngpath]cemeteries.php\" class=\"lightlink\">$text[mnucemeteries]</a><br />\n";
    echo "<a href=\"$cms[tngpath]browsemedia.php?mediatypeID=headstones\" class=\"lightlink\">$text[mnutombstones]</a><br />\n";
    echo "<a href=\"$cms[tngpath]places.php\" class=\"lightlink\">$text[places]</a><br />\n";
    echo "<a href=\"$cms[tngpath]browsenotes.php\" class=\"lightlink\">$text[notes]</a><br />\n";
    echo "<a href=\"$cms[tngpath]anniversaries.php\" class=\"lightlink\">$text[anniversaries]</a><br />\n";
    echo "<a href=\"$cms[tngpath]reports.php\" class=\"lightlink\">$text[mnureports]</a><br />\n";
    echo "<a href=\"$cms[tngpath]browsesources.php\" class=\"lightlink\">$text[mnusources]</a><br />\n";
    echo "<a href=\"$cms[tngpath]browserepos.php\" class=\"lightlink\">$text[repositories]</a><br />\n";
    echo "<a href=\"$cms[tngpath]browsetrees.php\" class=\"lightlink\">$text[mnustatistics]</a><br />\n";
    echo "<a href=\"$cms[tngpath]changelanguage.php\" class=\"lightlink\">$text[mnulanguage]</a><br />\n";
    if( $allow_admin ) {

That's it right? If so, can I put regular html in between the links? I'd like to separate and organize them a bit better rather than having a mass of links. :)

Html I know to some degree but php is rather foreign. :(

You don't really need to know any PHP to edit this part... just know to follow a few simple rules:

Right now each line (each link) is ended by a <br />. You can see that as the last bit of HTML code on each line, just before the \n (PHP echo new-line.)

There are a few ways you can get some grouping and separation. The simplest is to add additional <br /> breaks after lines where you want to end groups. (e.g. <br /><br />\n"; )

If you want to do fancier things, such as adding heading text, you can add additional echoed lines of HTML code. Just paste the following in, and replace <put html here> with your HTML:

echo "<put html here>\n";

You can put as much code as you'd like into each line -- if you want graphics or tables or just simple spans of text with a paragraph break, there's no limitations to what you can put within a single echoed line.

However, the thing you need to be most careful about is protecting any quotation marks you use within your HTML code. You can see that in action in all of the lines you pasted here, notice how they're all preceded by a backslash ( \ ). The only quotation marks on the line that should NOT be protected are the very first (just after the echo) and the very last, just before the semicolon. (Also make sure the semicolon is there -- unprotected quotes and missing semicolons are main source of errors in my customized code!)

-Steve

• 2 years later...

Ah I think I found it

echo "<a href=\"$cms[tngpath]searchform.php\" class=\"lightlink\">$text[mnuadvancedsearch]</a><br />\n";
    echo "<a href=\"$cms[tngpath]surnames.php\" class=\"lightlink\">$text[mnulastnames]</a><br />\n";
    echo "<a href=\"$cms[tngpath]whatsnew.php\" class=\"lightlink\">$text[mnuwhatsnew]</a><br />\n";
    echo "<a href=\"$cms[tngpath]mostwanted.php\" class=\"lightlink\">$text[mostwanted]</a><br />\n";
    echo "<a href=\"$cms[tngpath]browsemedia.php?mediatypeID=photos\" class=\"lightlink\">$text[mnuphotos]</a><br />\n";
    echo "<a href=\"$cms[tngpath]browsemedia.php?mediatypeID=histories\" class=\"lightlink\">$text[mnuhistories]</a><br />\n";
    echo "<a href=\"$cms[tngpath]browsemedia.php?mediatypeID=documents\" class=\"lightlink\">$text[documents]</a><br />\n";
    echo "<a href=\"$cms[tngpath]browsemedia.php?mediatypeID=videos\" class=\"lightlink\">$text[videos]</a><br />\n";
    echo "<a href=\"$cms[tngpath]browsemedia.php?mediatypeID=recordings\" class=\"lightlink\">$text[recordings]</a><br />\n";
    echo "<a href=\"$cms[tngpath]browsealbums.php\" class=\"lightlink\">$text[albums]</a><br />\n";
    echo "<a href=\"$cms[tngpath]browsemedia.php\" class=\"lightlink\">$text[allmedia]</a><br />\n";
    echo "<a href=\"$cms[tngpath]cemeteries.php\" class=\"lightlink\">$text[mnucemeteries]</a><br />\n";
    echo "<a href=\"$cms[tngpath]browsemedia.php?mediatypeID=headstones\" class=\"lightlink\">$text[mnutombstones]</a><br />\n";
    echo "<a href=\"$cms[tngpath]places.php\" class=\"lightlink\">$text[places]</a><br />\n";
    echo "<a href=\"$cms[tngpath]browsenotes.php\" class=\"lightlink\">$text[notes]</a><br />\n";
    echo "<a href=\"$cms[tngpath]anniversaries.php\" class=\"lightlink\">$text[anniversaries]</a><br />\n";
    echo "<a href=\"$cms[tngpath]reports.php\" class=\"lightlink\">$text[mnureports]</a><br />\n";
    echo "<a href=\"$cms[tngpath]browsesources.php\" class=\"lightlink\">$text[mnusources]</a><br />\n";
    echo "<a href=\"$cms[tngpath]browserepos.php\" class=\"lightlink\">$text[repositories]</a><br />\n";
    echo "<a href=\"$cms[tngpath]browsetrees.php\" class=\"lightlink\">$text[mnustatistics]</a><br />\n";
    echo "<a href=\"$cms[tngpath]changelanguage.php\" class=\"lightlink\">$text[mnulanguage]</a><br />\n";
    if( $allow_admin ) {

That's it right? If so, can I put regular html in between the links? I'd like to separate and organize them a bit better rather than having a mass of links. :)

Html I know to some degree but php is rather foreign. :(

I'm not sure if you have figured it out yet or not. I wasted 2 days (actually more) trying to get it, before I stumbled onto the easiest fix you can imagine. You see how all those lines go \" class=\"lightlink\"> ? Well, where it says class= you type the word you want the menu to say. For instance <a href=\"$cms[tngpath]browsetrees.php\" class=\"lightlink\"> would become <a href=\"$cms[tngpath]browsetrees.php\" class=Trees\"lightlink\"> At least that is what I did and it worked for me.

I did it to the whole menu and it worked like a charm. Now, if everything else will just fall into place.

Katydid