TNG Community

Adding Residence events for Families from Census Data

ca_drm1n

I have recently re-dedicated myself to properly sourcing the content on my site before it gets so large as to become impossible. Today I uploaded an image of a census page, and added my transcription of the page to the description field for the media item (I have created a custom media type, Census Records).

I subsequently created a source for this census page, as I will eventually do for my other census images, and linked that source to the various individuals' records (approximate birth year, immigration and naturalization events, etc.)

I wanted to capture the house address for each of the 5 members of the family recorded in the census (same address for all). I may be missing something, but could not find a way to add the Residence (RESI) event to the family, so I instead went through to each of the five individuals edit pages, and added a RESI event for each one, and sourced it to the newly created source.

This was incredibly tedious, when I had nothing different to say for the five different folks; is there a more efficient way to get this RESI event into all of the individuals' events lists?

Thanks,

- Al

Al,

I would recommend against trying to add a Residence or Census entry for a family. The reason being that all five family members may not be on every census record that you attach to the family. Older children may marry or move out, younger children may be staying with other family members or even passed away. Also, in-laws may be living with the family sporadically.

I personally prefer to use the GEDCOM standard "CENS" tag for each individual present on the census record.

Andy

Al,

I would recommend against trying to add a Residence or Census entry for a family. The reason being that all five family members may not be on every census record that you attach to the family. Older children may marry or move out, younger children may be staying with other family members or even passed away. Also, in-laws may be living with the family sporadically.

I personally prefer to use the GEDCOM standard "CENS" tag for each individual present on the census record.

Andy

Andy,

Understood, and I think I have linked the Census both to the family (when it is applicable to the entire family) as well as to the specific individuals. The main question I have is if there is an easy way, when the entire family shares the same event (like the residence for this particular census) to add it to all of them collectively rather than the tedium of doing it to each one separately.

Thanks,

- Al

Al,

Currently, there is no easy way to add an event to several individuals, although I have put in my recommendation for this much-needed feature in TNG.

Andy (keeping my fingers crossed)

Andy,

Understood, and I think I have linked the Census both to the family (when it is applicable to the entire family) as well as to the specific individuals. The main question I have is if there is an easy way, when the entire family shares the same event (like the residence for this particular census) to add it to all of them collectively rather than the tedium of doing it to each one separately.

Thanks,

- Al

you should be able to change the event from Individual to Family. And then link the event to the family.

• 6 years later...

I would like to be able to do this both for Residence and census events, in addition to the images I've been uploading and linking to individuals.  I just can't bring myself to manually the same information for each member of a family of 10 for 3 censuses ... 

Any updates on this issue?